Towards development of mediatization research V
Institute of Social Communication and Media Studies,
Maria Curie-Skłodowska University in Lublin, Poland
in partnership with Academia Europaea Wroclaw Knowledge Hub
Continuing our research meetings focused on specific issues of mediatisation chaired by eminent experts (Göran Bolin (2017), Johan Fornäs (2018), Andreas Hepp (2019),Mark Deuze (2020)), this year the workshop will take place online on 10 December 2021 and it will be led by Professor André Jansson, director of the Geomedia Research Group at the Karlstad University, Sweden.
The title of this year’s edition is:
Counter-mediatization, digital disconnection and other reverse trends in media use.
We invite all mediatization researchers who wish to discuss their own research projects in a narrow and closed group of media scholars under the guidance of an expert. The aim of such exchange is to answer questions like:
- What are the causes and effects of the retreat from media technologies and mediated processes?
- How conscious media management, containment, contestation, negation is shaping?
- How the media environment is being desaturated and what off-the-grid life is about?
- How private, professional, social and public life is being demediated?
- What digital disconnection is and what it entails?
- How fashions, trends and tendencies such as digital detox, etc. are changing everyday media practice, as well as various aspects of private and social life?
- How are various forms of counter-mediatization related to the production of space and place?
- How are different disconnection strategies related to social power and privilege?
- How the theory of mediatization can develop in the context of the reverse trends in media use?
The idea and format of the meeting is based on a closed specialization workshop in a formula proven in the previous editions, i.e.:
- participants work on different types of materials (articles, works in progress, proposals, theses, reports, drafts etc.) under the guidance of the edition leader;
- meeting is preceded by substantive preparation by the leader and all participants on the basis of materials circulated among all participants in advance;
- during the meeting all participants focus on group discussion and expert feedback (presentations and speeches are limited to a minimum);
- seminar is preceded by an introductory lecture by the leader.
*There is no conference fee.
- 30.09.21 – submissions of proposals (please use the form available on the webpage: https://tiny.pl/r33v6 ; other submission will not be accepted)
- 10.10.21 – notification of acceptance of proposals
- 10.11.21- submission of materials for discussion (only pdf format is accepted)
- 11.11-9.12.21 – preparation for the workshop by the leader and all participants
- 10.12.21 – closed online workshop (Google Meets will be used)
Any substantive questions about the workshop can be answered by Katarzyna Kopecka-Piech, Maria Curie-Skłodowska University in Lublin, via email: firstname.lastname@example.org. For technical and organisational matters, please write to: email@example.com