University of Ghana Department of Communication Studies – Faculty Positions in
- Multimedia journalism (broadcast emphasis)
- Policy communication
The Department of Communication Studies of the University of Ghana is an exciting home to many successful, and budding communication practitioners. We combine a rich tradition of industry-oriented teaching and deep scholarly grounding in training the next generation of communication practitioners, researchers, scholars, activists etc. The Department runs graduate programmes in Communication Studies at the Master of Arts, Master of Philosophy and Doctor of Philosophy levels. We are expanding and seek new, driven and innovative faculty members (Lecturer rank) to teach courses in Multimedia Journalism and Policy Communication.
- Successful candidates for Multimedia Journalism should be grounded in both theory and practice and be ready to teach courses that prepare students to work in converged newsrooms serving multimedia platforms. In particular, the candidates must demonstrate a strong ability to teach courses related to broadcast content production (radio, TV and online streaming) including news stories, documentaries, podcasts, news features etc.
- The ideal candidate for Policy Communication must demonstrate understanding of the policy making and governance ecosystem and the place of communication within it. S/he will be expected to teach courses including communication in policy making, issues in policy communication, policy advocacy campaigns etc. We seek candidates who combine sound theoretical and scholarly background with rich practical experience.
Candidates will also be expected to:
- hold a PhD in communication or related disciplines from a reputable and accredited institution
- have relevant skills to teach core communication studies courses including Communication Theories and Models, Communication Research and Ethics.
- be ready to supervise graduate student dissertations and projects on communication phenomena.
- have an established record or high potential of solid scholarly research.
- in accordance with University of Ghana standards, engage in high‐quality research on any area of interest within communication studies
- be ready to take up an offer of appointment before December 31st 2021
- be ready to stay in Ghana for the period of the contract
The salary and conditions of service for the position are similar to what pertains in Ghanaian Public Universities.
Application Procedure: Please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org to indicate your interest and also share a copy of your CV. In the email, please indicate which of the roles you are interested in. Short-listed applicants will be contacted and advised on the recruitment procedures of the University of Ghana. You may use the same email address for inquiries.
NB: Please note that appointments are subject to the availability of appointment slots as approved by the Government of Ghana